SANUSq Botanique: Shallaki (Boswellia Serrata) in vegetable capsules - 350 mg x 90
Supports bone and joint health
Main ingredients: (per capsule) 350 mg organically grown Shallaki in vegetable capsules
Suggested daily dosage: 3 capsules per day with food and water for at least 3 months or as directed by your healthcare professional.
Storage: Refrigerate after opening. Use within 60 days. Keep well sealed.
- 1,050mg of Shallaki (Boswellia Serata) per serving
- 90 vegetable capsules per bottle
- Non-GMO, 100% organic and pesticide free
- No additives or synthetic ingredients
- Screw top glass bottle
- Powerful anti-inflammatory properties
What is Shallaki?
Shallaki or Boswellia serrata is a tropical plant that grows in India, the Middle East and North Africa. The gum resin of shallaki is highly prized in Ayurveda and is widely used to manage conditions such as osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, asthma, skin diseases, Crohn's disease and other inflammatory conditions.
Health Benefits in a Nutshell
- Reduces pain and inflammation
- Improves symptoms in osteoarthritis
- Beneficial in rheumatoid arthritis
- Reduces symptoms of ulcerative colitis
- Provides relief in asthma symptoms
1. Reduces symptoms in arthritis
Studies show that shallaki reduces symptoms associated with osteoarthritis, the most common form of arthritis where degradation of cartilage causes pain, stiffness and reduced function in the joints. Shallaki helps reduce these symptoms and improves joint function. It has been found to be particularly useful in the osteoarthritis of the knee, which is mainly treated with non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAID) and specific (COX-2) cyclooxygenase II inhibitors. These drugs cause severe complications including gastrointestinal bleeding with no positive effect on cartilage repair. 
Boswellic acids, one of the main biologically active ingredients in shallaki, have pain-relieving and anti-inflammatory properties. One such boswellic acid (AKBA) blocks an enzyme 5-lipoxygenase (5-LOX) that creates inflammation in joints and other tissues. It has been found that boswellic acids also reduce degradation of glycosaminoglycans, compounds that reduce inflammation, protect cartilage from breaking down and even promote new cartilage formation. Shallaki also improves symptoms in rheumatoid arthritis, an autoimmune condition where chronic inflammation destroys bone and cartilage and causes pain, swelling and deformity in the joints.
2. Effective in inflammatory bowel disease
Boswellic acids in shallaki blocks the production of enzyme 5-lipoxygenase (5-LOX), which is involved in the synthesis of leukotrienes, pro-inflammatory molecules that are directly involved in creating chronic inflammation in the gut.
Inflammatory bowel diseases such as Crohn's disease and ulcerative colitis are conventionally treated with the help of corticosteroids, antibiotics, immunosuppressants and biological agents. Prolonged use of these drugs can cause serious side effects.
Shallaki, due to the presence of boswellic acids, reduces inflammation in the gut and this makes it useful in Crohn's disease and ulcerative colitis. Reduced inflammation leads to better nutrient absorption and reduced risk of gastric ulcers.
3. Reduces symptoms in asthma
Leukotrienes also play a critical role in allergies and asthma. These inflammation-promoting molecules are responsible for constricting the airway muscles and triggering asthma attacks. Shallaki with its rich boswellic acid content reduces the production of leukotrienes (by supressing 5-lipoxygenase enzyme). Shallaki also removes excess mucus from the lungs and provides relief in the symptoms of asthma.
- While moderate use of Shallaki supplements is considered safe with no side effects, excessive consumption can cause gastrointestinal problems such as bloating, abdominal cramps, diarrhoea and nausea. It can also cause skin rash.
- Not recommended for pregnant or breastfeeding women, or for women who are trying to conceive.
- People who are taking immunosuppressants, or medications for depression and anxiety should avoid shallaki supplements.
- People with pre-existing medical conditions should consult their healthcare practitioner before taking shallaki supplements in any form.
1. Yu et al. Effectiveness of Boswellia and Boswellia extract for osteoarthritis patients: a systematic review and meta-analysis. BMC Complementary Medicine and Therapies. 2020.
Information on our websites, in our blogs and our emails are provided for informational purposes only, and have not been evaluated by the EMA, EFSA or FDA. It is not meant to substitute medical advice provided by your healthcare professional and is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. Our products are intended for adults, 18 years of age and older. While Shallaki has been shown to have various health benefits, it is important to remember that supplements and dietary changes should be considered as part of an overall health plan and not as a substitute for professional medical treatment. Only a qualified healthcare practitioner can provide personalized advice and treatment plans based on your individual health needs and medical history, and you should seek advice from your healthcare professional before taking product(s) if you are pregnant or nursing.